Burwood Briars Cricket News
01/02/20 – Reasonably good day in oppressive conditions today with all grades having play suspended at different times due to the temperature exceeding 43 degrees.
- 1st grade did really well to bat the day out finishing 8-229 at stumps. Maxy Squire played a great captains knock with 62, Jack Thomas made 38 and Jack Kovacic 31no and Diren Reddy 26no added an unbeaten 54 at the end of the day.
- 2nd grade did well to dismiss Strathfield for 198, we had them 5-41 at one stage but a valuable late order partnership in the heat enabled a late flurry, best of the bowlers was James Webb with 4-19 and Jack Rogers 3-51. We are 0-12 at stumps.
- 3rd grade dismissed the comp leaders for 131 with Greg Metcalfe picking up 4 wickets and we are 4-38 at stumps. A great effort in the field by the guys!
- 4th grade were also playing the comp leaders and and batted really well to finish 7-229 at stumps with Mathew Matthew Harrington making 41, Tristan Stansfield 40 and Karkare 33.
25/01/20 – The Briars have had a sensational day today with a clean sweep against Balmain/Souths and bonus points wins in 2nd, 3rd and 4th grades.
- 1sts were sent in at Alan Davidson Oval against the 5th placed Balmain/Souths and were patient in compiling 8-220 off their 50 overs with skipper Max Squire making 62, Jack Thomas 54 and Tim Rose 27. The guys combined well in the field with an attack minus our two strike bowlers this game(Kova and BJ) and restricted the bunnies to 9-195 with Brad Maguire the surprise packet taking 3-22 and Arky 2-33-a massive 6 points for the 1sts.
- 2nd grade dominated their clash, we rolled Balmain/Souths for 110 with Atul Mahajan taking 3-15 and Brett Bastow 2-9. We cruised to victory in the 28th over with James Jamie McLeod making 62no and Matt Roper 27- big bonus point win!
- 3rd grade also had a comprehensive win, we amassed 8-325 off our 50 overs with Ash Sharma making 93, Raoul 58 and Patel 40. The guys then rolled the bunnies for just 70 with Elliot Ralph taking 7-37 and Sam Tregeagle 2-29-another valuable bonus point win!
- 4th grade were also way too good and smashed Balmain/Souths, we made 272 with Kova playing as a bat in 4s getting 54, skipper Lloyd Andrews 46 and Sanket 41. We knocked over the bunnies for 112 with Greg Metcalfe taking 5-38 and Sanket 2-0 completing a vital bonus point win!
Well done guys, a fantastic day and huge for club champs!
11/01/20 – As expected there were some tough battles across all grades today against Auburn.
- 1st grade were sent in on a tacky Mona Park deck and made 212 with Tim Rose top scoring with 54 and Diren Reddy made 33no. We fought hard in the field but the pitch had settled and we couldn’t get the key breakthroughs and were passed 4 down in the 48th over with Brenton Wright taking 3-45.
- 2nd grade had a huge bonus point win in their grand final replay. We rolled Auburn for just 99 with Alex Vendrasco taking 4-21, Darren Leichsenring 3-29 and Atul Mahajan 2-29. We lost a few early wicket but cruised home 4 down with James Mcleod making 35no and Brett Bastow 24no.
- 3rd grade had an incredible tie. Bowling first Auburn were 0-61 before a Chris Iaquinto hat trick with his first three balls enabled us to knock them over for 142 with Iaquinto taking 7-40. We were 8-81 in the chase but recovered and it went down to the last over with Paul Pannuti 27 and Paul Simpson 25 nearly grabbing the win but we lost our last wicket on 142 and share the points.
- 4th grade had a huge bonus point win too, bowling first we dismissed Auburn for 140 with Sanket Karkare(below) taking 5-24 and we achieved the win comfortably 5 down with Rahul making 40 and Saurabh Ganguly and Harry Lee 25 each.
- After today results we have snuck ahead of Auburn in the Club Champs battle but are probably in 2nd place now behind Warringah with 5 rounds to go.
21/12/19 – A great finish to Round 7 today against Mounties/Southern Districts with the top 3 grades winning including a vital outright from 2nd grade
- 1st grade had an enormous win against the premiers of the last 3 seasons in oppressive conditions at Rothwell Park. Defending 275 the guys worked well together but the star again with the ball was Brenton Wright who took 6-95 against his former club. Wright, skipper Maxy Squire and Brad Maguire all contributed sensational individual performances(photo below) but the whole team chipped in with vital run outs, stumpings and catches at crucial times and we dismissed the premiers for 221.
- 2nd grade totally dominated their game against Mounties and picked up a big 10 points today on the back of a record opening stand of 207 from Tommy Moffitt with an incredible 150 not out and Jamie McLeod 102(photo below). We declared 3 for 265 after dismissing them for 108 in the first innings and we rolled them a second time for 92 with Darren Leichsenring taking 3 wickets and the rest of the wickets were shared.
- 3rd grade had a typical hard fought Briars win chasing 152. Resuming at 4-30 we were up against it but sensible pressure batting got the guys home, Neeraj Arora made a handy 37 before Phil Maxwell held the bottom order together with a match winning 60. Alex Vendrasco made an important 13 not out and the guys won 9 down in a heart stopper!
- 4th grade fought hard but went down to the competition leaders. Defending 128 we were passed 5 down, Mounties declared 6-185 and we were 3-68 in our second innings with Pat Roach making 30 not out and Matt Harrington 22 when the game was called.
A great day against a very strong opposition and a super way to head to the Christmas break with important club championship points!
14/12/19 – Reasonable day across the grades against Mounties/Southern Districts today.
- 1st grade did really well to bat all day against the reigning premiers and were dismissed right on stumps for 275. Brad Maguire(below) set the innings up with a very stylish 83 against his former club and skipper Maxy Squire smashed a magnificent 92(6x4s and 5x6s) and combined for a valuable last wicket partnership of 50 with Damian Price. Jack Thomas 27 and Tim Rose 25 also chipped in with important contributions.
- 2nd grade absolutely dominated their game against Mounties, bowling first we rolled them for 108 with Atul Mahajan taking 5 wickets and Darren Leichsenring 3. James McLeod 95no and Tom Moffitt 85no(below) have combined to put on an incredible record 183 for the opening partnership and we take 6 points on day one without losing a wicket.
- 3rd grade dismissed Mounties for 152 with Elliot Ralph taking 5-51 and Phil Maxwell 2-12 and we are precariously placed at 4-30 at stumps.
- 4th grade batted first against the competition leaders and fought hard to make 128 on a slow pitch and we have Mounties 1-36 at stumps off 23 overs.
- Under 24s take on Mounties out at Greenway Oval tomorrow in a vital 4th round clash so please pop out and support the guys.
7/12/2019 – The Briars have had an amazing day clean sweeping rivals Georges River.
Not a bad day against North West Sydney today.
- 1st grade didn’t start until 330pm because of the air quality and defending 6(dec)308 we knocked over the Hurricanes for 211 with Mr Consistent Brenton Wright taking another 5 wicket haul with 5-41, Arky Arora 2-35 and Steve Davis 2-38, a valuable 6 points.
- Second grade defended 224 rolling NWS for 146 with Damian Price taking 4-43 and Atul 3-41.
- 3rd grade batted poorly chasing 137 and were dismissed for 120.
- 4th grade had an easy outright win, defending 6(dec)284 we dismissed NWS for just 43 and 63 with Paul Panutti taking 8-14 and 1-10 and Fisher and Sanjay taking 3 wickets each-a big 10 points!
Our Under 24s made it 2 from 3 with a good win over Balmain/Souths today. Batting first the guys were patient in compiling 5-182 off their 50 overs with Phil Maxwell making 45no, skipper Diren Reddy 34no and Anton Demark 27. The Bunnies got off to a flyer and were 0-41 off 6 overs before Damian Price dismissed their main bat and a couple more followed and we had them 3-46, despite a couple of small partnerships from Souths the guys combined well to eventually dismiss them for 128 with Damian Price(below)taking 5-58 capping off a 9 wicket weekend for him(after taking 4 in 2s yesterday). Great win guys!!
In the DC Cup this weekend Briars Gold 1-99, with skipper Smyck making 50no and Gordon 25, hammered Strathfield 98 with Taylor and Dutta picking up 3 wickets each. In the other games Briars Rivals made 83 and narrowly went down to Auburn 89, Briars Brothers fell short making 180 chasing Mounties 205 and in 5th grade we made 170 with Paul Sultana getting 30 but were passed 5 down.
The top 3 clubs in the club championship after the weekend results are;
- Auburn 639
- Briars 637
- Warringah 631
23/11/2019 – The Briars have had an amazing day clean sweeping rivals Georges River.
1st grade proved again how valuable runs on the board are and pressurised the River out of the game today. Defending 165 the guys turned the screws and dismissed them for 121 thanks to some excellent spin bowling by Brenton Wright 3-20, Arky Arora 2-10(and two great catches) and paceman Damian Price 2-20(and a super catch) to clinch the victory.
2nd grade were dismissed for 155 chasing 121 with Karl Vendrasco making 54 and skipper Brett Bastow 45no. We had Georges River 7-50, then 8-143 and all out 146 with Iaquinto taking 4-20, Darren Leichsenring 3-18 and James Webb 3-7. We needed 112 off 20 overs for outright and got the runs 5 down in the 19th over with Seb Blaszczyk belting 60 and Harry Peters 26…a huge 10 points!!
3rd grade demolished Georges River(not the only thing demolished at 3s), defending 8(dec)270 the guys were too good and we rolled the River for 126 with Alex Vendrasco taking 4-27 and Jack Rogers 4-26.
4th grade pulled off one of the great Briars victories, chasing 213 we were 8-112 at tea but an incredible 82 not out by Greg Metcalfe, 26 by Will Studley(72 run partnership) and a handy 10 not out from Tommy Threkheld(30 run partnership) got the guys home 9 down!!
Our Under 24s play North West Sydney at Rothwell Park tomorrow so let’s get down and support them and hopefully cap off a remarkable weekend!
16/11/19 – Challenging day across the grades against Georges River today
- 1st grade just couldn’t get going with the bat and were dismissed for 165 with Jack Thomas performing well again with an excellent 71 and Tommy Parton made 30. We picked up two vital late wickets to give the guys a sniff defending runs on the board and Georges River are 3-58 at stumps.
- 2nd grade bowled really well to dismiss Georges River for 120 with Chris Iaquinto taking 3-17, James Webb 3-20 and Darren Leichsenring 3-33. We were in a bit of strife at 5-54 but have recovered to be 5-103 at stumps with Karl Vendrasco on 42no and skipper Brett Bastow 15no.
- 3rd grade were once again dominant declaring 8-270 with Tommy Jackson(below) belting a brilliant 141 and at stumps Georges River are 0-6.
- 4th grade toiled hard all day and eventually dismissed Georges River for 213 right on stumps with Will Studley taking 4-31 and Greg Metcalfe 3-43.
- In 5th grade we had a comprehensive victory, Briars made 5-152 with Rahul making 48 and Brett Howle 34 and we rolled Lane Cove for just 49 with Rahul capping off a great game taking 4-10 and veteran Anthony Clarke 4-14.
In the DC Cup Briars Gold had a great win against the strong Ryde Hunters Hill, we dismissed them for 120 and got the runs comfortably two down with Harry Lee making 53no and Vish Pendyala 51no.
See you all at Rothwell Park tomorrow for the Back to Briars day as our Under 24s take on Auburn in round one of that Comp.
09/11/19 – Solid day with 3 out of the top 4 grades winning against Lane Cove.
- 1st grade had an incredible 1 run win defending 126(some photos below). The Covies were 5-97 on a road before losing 4-7 and were eventually dismissed for 125 with Brenton Wright once again firing taking 4-31, Steve Davis 3-23 and Diren Reddy 3-34.
- 2nd grade weren’t at their best, chasing 186 we were knocked over for 140 with Brett Bastow getting 62, we had the Covies 6-140 in their second innings with Damian Price taking another 3 wickets when the game was called.
- 3rd grade picked up a massive 10 points, coming into day two with a first innings lead of 167 we rolled Lane Cove a second time for 132.
- 4th grade nearly snared 10 points after rolling Lane Cove for 95 chasing our 9(dec)221 with Panutti 4 and Rogers 3 the wicket takers. We had them 8-59 in their second innings when time ran out.
- In DC Cup today Briars Brothers knocked over Briars Gold in the last over chasing 130 and Briars Rivals went down to Ryde Hunters Hill.
03/11/19 – Not a bad day across the 6 grades today.
- 1st grade had to battle hard all day on a tough Tantallon Oval deck and slow outfield posting 126 after being sent in with skipper Maxy Squire making 32 and Arky Arora 26 and at stumps we have the Covies 4-43 with Diren Reddy taking 2-10.
- 2nd grade dismissed Lane Cove for 186 with Damian Price taking 4-43 and Atul Mahajan 3-55. We are 5-92 at stumps with Brett Bastow 32no and skipper Brad Sculley 22no.
- 3rd grade had a huge day, we rolled the Covies for 119 and we are 4-255 with Alex Peters smashing a quickfire ton.
- 4th grade declared 9-221 with Karkare making 61no and Pat Rogers 56 and we have Lane Cove 2-13 at stumps.
- 5th grade had a huge win over Lindfield, we made 5-191 with Harrington making 42, skipper Howle 38no and Workman 32 and we knocked Lindfield over for just 70.
In the DC Cup today Briars Gold smashed 211 with Cullen making 71 and Dutta 61 and we knocked Auburn over for 156.
26/10/19 – A clean sweep of all grades against Macquarie university.
Fantastic day today with a clean sweep of all grades against Macquarie University. In oppressive conditions 1st grade and 3rd grade had comfortable first innings wins at home whilst 2nds and 4ths had to battle the heat and the unsuitable Macquarie Uni facilities and both had strong wins.
- 1st grade were defending 8(dec)269 and rolled the students for just 82 with Brenton Wright(below)continuing his excellent form taking 6-25 and Jack Kovacic 2-30. We put Uni back in and they were 4-144 with Kova taking 3-42 when stumps were drawn.
- 2nd grade had a huge win and just missed an outright, defending 206 we rolled the students for 118 with Damian Price 3-23, Mick Towells 3-28 and Atul 3-35 bowling well. We then declared 3-124 with Kale Barton making 42 and Alex Peters 35no and Uni were 9-120 in their second innings.
- 3rd grade also fell just short of an outright, defending 7(dec)310 we dismissed Uni for 122 with Darren Leichsenring taking 5 wickets and James Threkhold 4 wickets and we had them 8-115 in their second innings when time ran out with Shrey taking 5 wickets.
- 4th grade had a solid win chasing 155, the guys got the runs 7 down with Saurabh Ganguly making a handy 50 and Jake Wright 36 and their good start to the season continues.
23/10/19 – A good day one against Macquarie uni.
- 1sts made 8(dec)269 with Tom Parton(below) smashing another ton, he made 111 and Jack Thomas 66 and we recovered from 5-62 and have the students 1-16 at stumps.
- 2nd made 206 with Harry Peters making 82 and we have Macquarie uni 5-77 with Damian Price taking 3 and Atul 2 wickets.
- 3rd grade smashed 7(dec)310 with James Jamie McLeod belting another ton and Sharma 66 and we have destroyed their top order leaving them 4-15 at stumps with Darren Leichsenring taking 4-3.
- 4th grade bowled really well on a flat deck to dismiss Macquarie uni on a slow old day for 155 with Elliot Ralph taking 4-38 and Greg Metcalfe 3-15.
- Our 5th grade team made 100 and were passed 4 down by Georges River.
06/10/19 – Cricket Report – Briars v Epping
A solid rain affected day one against Epping today in the battle for the Turnbull/Richardson Trophy.
1st grade didn’t start until 210pm and played just 54 overs and at stumps we are 8-196. Brenton Wright continued his excellent start to the season making 52 and Jack Thomas made 47 on his return innings to the Briars.
2nd grade had a very good day, after being sent in we made 5 declared for 291 and we have Epping 2-10 at stumps. Our English import Tom Parton(video below) blasted 120(16x4s, 2x6s) and combined with Harry Peters 89 for a 4th wicket partnership of 203. Mick Towells picked up two vital Bulls wickets at the end of the day.
3rd grade have already picked up first innings points, Epping were 2-73 at one stage before collapsing to be dismissed for 105 with James Threkhold picking up 3 wickets and Darren Leichsenring and Jeremy Wedd 2 each. We are 8-114 at stumps with Alex Alex Favotto making 40 and Patel 37.
4th grade toiled hard all day after starting late to dismiss Epping for 106 with Harrison Green taking 4-40, Karkare 2-14, Buchanan 2-16 and Studley 2-24.
Our 5th grade had a very good narrow win over Auburn today. Batting first we made 8-111 off our 40 overs with Pat Roach making 43 and we knocked over the Eagles for 106 with James Bakker taking a match winning 5 wicket haul.
Huge thank you to both Tabs and Gareth who captained in today’s inter club game at Ron Routley for those players not playing this round, it was a really worthwhile match.
Our 6th grade teams fell short today, Gold were dismissed for 83 chasing Mounties 121 with Elliot Ralph and Vince Cleary picking up 3 wickets each whilst Rivals fell just 8 runs short chasing Mounties 123 after Vivek took 3-32.
Well done to our Classics(over 50s) team who had a great first round 4 wicket win over the Cricketers Club of NSW last weekend. Andrew Blaikie and Warwick Hayes both made 30s in our chase of 143 with Gus Fernando 3-16 and Dave Trewin 2-10 leading the way with the ball.
Training is outdoor this week with daylight saving meaning it will be back to the normal Wednesday sessions.
Briars Cricket Presentation Night
Another hugely successful Briars Presentation Night was held at the club on Saturday the 27th April. A capacity record crowd enjoyed reflecting on yet another amazing season for the club and we celebrated the numerous semi final appearances, another club championship and two more premierships. As well as the individual awards on the night a number of past premiership reunions were held with players from the 1960s right through until today present.
Congratulations to all of the winners of individual players players awards and they were as follows;
- 1st grade-Richard Tregeagle Medal-Jack Kovacic
- 2nd grade-Gerard Price Medal – Matt Roper
- 3rd grade-Anthony Clarke Medal – Damian Price
- 4th grade-Peter Mansford Medal – Scott Brennan
- Under 24s- Paul Price Medal – Harry Peters
- 5th grade(Maroon/Gold) – Will Hood Medal-Harrison Lee
- 5th grade(Briars Rivals) – Abhijit Nagar
- Masters/Classics-Bill Hooker Medal – Steve Rous/Warwick Hayes
In addition to this the following two prestigious Annual Trophies were presented;
- Ted Watt Trophy for Best New Talent-Matthew Booth
- Dave Walker Trophy for Services to Cricket – Ted Stockdale
Thank you to the Briars caterers, everyone who assisted with the evening and Gerard who once again did a great job as MC.
Burwood Briars Cricket celebrate their remarkable season
Congratulations to the whole club on what’s been another amazingly successful season. To win the Club Championship again, 2nd and 4th grade premierships, runners up in 3rd grade and Under 24s and semi-finalists in 1st and 5th grades is remarkable!
2nd grade won one of the best Grand Finals ever in that grade. On day one we toiled hard on a great Drummoyne Oval deck to knock Auburn over for 236 with Matt Roper taking 4-31 and Steve Davis 2-33 and we were 0-3 at stumps. Chasing 236 against a strong Auburn attack was always going to be tough assignment but the guys somehow found a way to do it. We lost wickets at key times but an aggressive 70 from Kale Barton and a match winning 64 not out from Brett ‘Kanga’ Bastow got the guys home 9 down on the back of a 43 run 9th wicket partnership with Sam Tregeagle(21) and an unbeaten 17 run last wicket one with Craig Andrews(4no). The Briars fighting spirit enables us to find a way to win these tight games, congratulations to Kanga who was man of the match and Declan Kennedy, the skipper, on guiding the guys to win the S J Mayne trophy. Commiserations to a tough Auburn team and thank you Nick Govers and the Sydney Cricket Club for allowing us to play on one of the best grounds in Australia.
3rd grade started late on day one due to the heavy outfield and made it to 2-70 at stumps at Airey Park. On day two we were dismissed around lunch time for 152 with Alex Favotto making 41 and Brad Sculley 26. We took some early wickets but ran out of time
on a good batting deck and Strathfield finished 5-135 off 76 overs and were crowned premiers due to their higher ranking in the semis. Well done to Brad Sculley and the whole 3rd grade team on a great season and congratulations to Strathfield on their win.
4th grade became the first team in any grade in Shires to win 5 premierships in a row. Resuming on day two at 1-18 at Rothwell Park after starting late on day one against Strathfield the guys faltered to be 5-64 before a match winning 136 run partnership between skipper
Lloyd Andrews 64 and Paul Pannuti 66 sealed the result. We were 8-264 with Anthony Melnyk on 30 not out and legend Gerard Price 26 not out when the game was called and 4th grade were crowned Harry Culbert Trophy winners. Lloydy was also named man of the match and Gerard has now won a premiership in every grade. Congratulations guys-amazing!!
The guys deservedly celebrated long into the night and into the next day at Rothwell Park as another incredibly successful season drew to a close.
There is definitely only one Burwood Briars!!
Burwood Briars Cricket – Grand Finals this weekend
Saturday & Sunday from 10.30 am
The mighty Burwood Briars have won 2nds, 3rds and 4th grade which means we have 3 Briars Cricket teams in this weekends Grand Final, 1st grade fought hard but went down to Mounties and their season is over. So, including Under 24s, the club has made an incredible 4 out of a possible 5 Grand Finals this season….plus a record breaking 7th Club Champs in a row!
The venues for this weekends Grand Finals have been pretty much confirmed, all games will be played over Saturday and Sunday commencing at 10.30am;
- 2nd grade-Briars v Auburn at George Parry Oval, Auburn(TBC)
- 3rd grade-Briars v Strathfield at Airey Park, Homebush
- 4th grade-Briars v Strathfield at Rothwell Park, Concord
A few interesting stats about the Briars over the past 10 years;
- The club have contested 31 out of the past 50 Grand Finals across the 5 grades(1st-4th grade and Under 24s) winning 14 premiership
- 2nd grade will be contesting their 7th consecutive Grand FInal and 9 out of the past 10 and will be chasing their 5th premiership in 10 years
- 3rd grade will be contesting their 6th Grand Final in 10 years and will be chasing their 6th title in that time
- 4th grade will be chasing a record breaking 5th title in a row
Some more interesting stats over the past 20 years;
- The Briars have had a team in 50 of the past 100 Grand Finals across the 5 grades(1st-4th grade and Under 24s) and have won 29 premierships in that time.
- It would be nice to add to this tally on the weekend!
Match details from last weekend
- 1st grade resumed at 2-8 chasing 311 but despite an aggressive 41 by skipper Max Squire and 23 by Chris Iaquinto we fell short and were dismissed for 140. Congratulations to Maxy and the guys who were one win away from another grand final and played a key role in the club winning the Club Championship again.
- 2nd grade fought out a typically tough semi final against Georges River. Resuming at 6-97 chasing 145 we were 7-101 then 8-136 before passing them 8 down and being dismissed for 148, skipper Declan Kennedy was the star with a match defining 58 not out. Georges River had nothing to lose and came out blazing and smashed 53 off 5 overs before faltering and we knocked them over for 122 with Samuel Tregeagle taking 4-47. We were in early trouble but the skipper again with 28 and then Alex Peters with an aggressive 40 not out and Matt Booth 18 not out steered the guys home and into 2nd grades 8th consecutive Grand Final. We will play Auburn in next weekends Grand Final.
- 3rd grade did a demolition job on Georges River yesterday to clinch a Grand Final spot. We rolled them for 72 with Damian Price taking 6-12 and then we smashed 4-286 with James McLeod making a massive 157 not out and skipper Brad Sculley 55 not out. We play Strathfield in next weekends Grand Final.
- 4th grade also had a tough battle, we resumed at 3-82 chasing Balmain/Souths 99 and passed their total 3 down before collapsing to be dismissed for 131. The bunnies came out firing and were 1-56 before Gerard Price took control and they were bowled out for 102, the Briars legend matched his son Damian’s 6 wicket haul in 3s by taking 6-53 and we were set 71 off 32 overs. Despite a couple of stutters skipper Lloyd Andrews steadied the ship and we finished 4-42 with Andrews making 15 not out. 4th grade also play Strathfield in next weekends Grand Final and they will be striving to win a record 5th successive title!
There’s only one Burwood Briars!